I am trying to find out what the Hebrew or Greek word for Heaven is and how it would be spelled in English.?

Example: Peace + Shalome

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Hebrew it is shameh pronounced shaw-meh’

In Greek it is ouranos pronounced oo-ran-os’

In English it is heaven pronounced heaven

• 1 decade ago

The usual Hebrew word for "heavens" is shamayim, a plural form meaning "heights"

In the Greek New Testament, it is ouranos, which denotes "sky", or "air." These words refer to the atmosphere just above the earth (Gen. 1:20, etc.); to the firmament in which the sun and moon and stars are located (Gen. 1:17, etc.); to God's abode (Ps. 2:4, etc.); and to the abode of the angels (Matt. 22:30).

• 1 decade ago

Ok now bear with me. There is more than one description of heaven in the Hebrew and Greek languages. I will share them with you:

GREEK

epouranios

ouraniov/ouranios

ouranoyen/ouranothen

HEBREW

galgal

ma`al

marowm

shachaq

shamayim

Hope this helps. For further indepth word studies and their meanings visit the provided source.

• 1 decade ago

Hebrew word is Shamayim which means heaven, heavens, sky visible heavens, sky as abode of the stars as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc Heaven (as the abode of God)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Shossi
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Do note--the Hebrew word for heaven is the plural form-with the yeem (yim) on the end.

shah-MAH-yeem

• 1 decade ago

http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/kjvstr...

This link is for the Greek and Hebrew bible and dictionary. I hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Ουρανός and Παράδεισος

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.