Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between a medical acupuncturist and a?

traditional acupuncturist in the state of NJ? Can medical acupuncturists call themselves "licensed" when in fact they are not?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not sure about NJ but it sounds familiar.

In the UK a medical acupuncturist would be someone that has a medical qualification i.e. gp, osteopath, chiropractor, physiotherapist and probably a few others too. They treat according to the biomechanical model. They think in terms of western anatomy and western medical theory. They will most likely have studied acupuncture as a specialization towards the end of their studies.

A traditional acupuncturist will follow 5-element theory. There are acupuncture points that treat the organ from an element point of view. They will treat the Zang-Fu organs and most likely prescribe herbs to support the acupuncture treatment.

In the UK it is the medical acupuncturists that are licensed to practice on the National Heatlth Service (NHS).

A traditional trained acupuncturist is only allowed to practice privately. I know of quite a few mainland trained chinese physicians with 7-year degree courses behind them that can not treat under the NHS because they have no western qualification.

I think it is down to the individual to decide wether they would rather be treated by a medical acupuncturist who learned the skill as a specialization and will doubtfully have more than two years training in the subject.

Or wether you get treated by a traditionally trained acupuncturist with a 7-year degree in their subject.

• 1 decade ago

They need a license.

State of New Jersey

Acupuncture Examining Board

PO Box 46019

Newark, NJ 07101

(973) 273-8092

(973) 273-8075 Fax

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/medical.htm#bme5

For more information:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/medical/acupuncture....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.