Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

Have you ever fainted when you got up too fast?

My boyfriend the other night was fell asleep on the couch. When he woke up he noticed the time and jumped up to go to the bathroom. After he went to the bathroom he fainted right out in the middle of the bathroom floor. Scared me to Death!! He said he got up to fast & felt nauses and then fainted.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I've never heard of it. I've gotten up too fast before but I just felt a little dizzy & got over it quickly. It just worries me he fainted! Thanks & Happy Holidays!

Favorite Answer

it is called "orthostatic hypotension"

it just means that if you get up too quickly your blood pressure drops really fast. it is pretty normal actually

have you ever stood up too quick and got dizzy? or got black spots before your eyes? that is what that is.

Source(s): nursing student

One day it happened to me without the excuse of just having had a baby. I jumped up off the couch to run down the hall because the kids were coming through the front door and I wasn't fully dressed and I ran to my bedroom bath to finish dressing and on the way out I fainted! I remember waking up and asking myself, "How did I get down here?" Evidently I had hit the dresser on the way down because beads of sweat running down into a open cut on my lip was the first thing I had felt. That was about a couple of years ago and it still taunts me to this day. But I have high blood pressure if that makes a difference. How's your boyfriends blood pressure?

I never fainted, but I have lost my sight for a few seconds (only saw black) and gotten dizzy when getting up too fast.

Fainting is more of a problem.

No, I have not ever fainted from getting up too fast. I have felt like it though. I've gotten light headed before from getting up like that.

• I think it's just something that happens sometimes. It's not very nice though. If it happens alot after this time then I would see a doctor but if it is just occasional I don't think it is anything to worry about! Have a lovely Christmas xx

More than likely it is orthostatic hypotension. Normally when you get up, the blood in you goes to your legs from gravity. Your body can sense that, and usually it shrinks the blood vessels in your legs, forcing the blood up towards your brain. If your body has trouble doing this, your brain can't get enough blood, making you lightheaded and sometimes pass out.

This isn't normal, and should be checked out by a doctor. I used to lose my vision whenever i stood up when I was younger due to low blood pressure, but that has gone away now. So it could be nothing, but it is never good to take chances with your health.

Yes it has happened to me a couple times. I was told by my doctor that getting up too fast causes blood flow to actually make you black out. just be careful and good luck. merry christmas

He got up to fast, if it continues he needs to see a doctor

I'm a nurse. There could be many different reasons why this happened. This could be serious he needs to see a doctor right away. I can't give you a reason for this and I'm not accurate. See the doctor, this could be something serious.

• yes...and this happens because when you are in deep sleep...your body is resting...and hence blood flow to the brain so very low because of the low heart beat....

hence...when he got up too fast all the blood from the brain drained away from his head...as standing is vertical and sleeping is horrizontal...hence...

always when ever you wake up...just sit down for even 30 seconds and then rub your face...so that you become lively..and then do all the work like brushing and all ...