wiu22 asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

How do I get rid of raccoons in my attic?

Favorite Answer

I had the same problem a few years ago and it was very hard to fix. Do you know how they are getting into the attic? We eventually had to cut down the small tree next to our house that they were using to climb up to the roof (terrible, I know). Here are some things you can try and that worked for us:

--Do you best to block any holes that lead into your attic. Remember, raccoons have very agile little claws so you may have to get creative (I ended up screwing cookie sheets to the roof--it sounds retarded, I know, but it worked).

--Make the area unattractive to them. It's most likely a female trying to nest and if she feels her babies will be unsafe, she'll find another spot. We spread cayeene pepper all over the place. It does cause discomfort to their footpads, but doesn't hurt them. Just a little classical conditioning.

And when all else fails, I would call a professional. Good luck!

• Need to set live traps to catch them all.... Then find out where they are comming in at and close up .... Sounds like you have a family in there.

I would get a proffesionnal to do it. I wouldn't harm the raccoons...

• if there are no babies in there u can wait till night fall go up and see if u can find out where it has been coming in from and seal it up