My mailbox is being bombarded w/ returned mail that I didn't send. What can I do?

They all have my @suchandsuch.net domain , but have a totally differnt name attached. I am getting them at the rate of about 200 an hour

Favorite Answer

Set up a filter to trash all emails with that subject or from that sender. Good luck.

As the others mentioned, you probably have a virus, and a nasty one, too. It's the type that uses your computer to send out email to everyone in your address book. Your first step should be to disconnect from the Internet and run a full virus scan on your computer (You do have an antivirus program, right?).

However, there is one possibility that wasn't mentioned yet. Someone ELSE may have a virus that is spoofing your address. In this scenario, someone's virus-infected PC is sending out all those emails, but using YOUR return address. So when the email bounces back due to a bad address, it comes to you. It is possible that the other person might not realize that they are doing this, but it is also very possible that a malicious prankster could be doing this. It's a variation of the old "call up and send a pizza to someone else's house" gag, but a bit nastier. If a lot of people know your email address, this is a distinct possiblity. If you suspect that this may be the case, then you will need to change your email address and give that one only to trusted friends. You can also have a "public" email address, but it should be with a company that provides good spam filtering.

cry... u have a virus. Run a virus scan (a good free one is AVG). If that doesn't change it, u need to have it looked at by a pro. Also, in the future, make sure not to download stuff from the internet or e-mails, unless u are 100% sure they are okay. And keep Windows as up-to-date as possible, security-wise.

It sounds like you may have an email virus that has hijacked your email and/or internet account. Change all your passwords, make sure your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are completely updated and then run them. If you run across something your security can't get rid of, note its file location, find that file and get rid of it! Also, contact your email provider and let them know it's not you that's spamming people - before they cut you off for sending it! Good luck!

Source(s): I work with computers and have also had my email/ISP accounts hijacked before...not fun!

run virus scan and also spyware

Easy.....

Sure fire way to cure this is to change your e-m address....