Can a credit card company take me to court for non-payment on the balance?

I have an outstanding balance with a credit card company in the amount of 1,600.00. I haven't paid on it since August 2005 because of a lot of hard times that have hit me these last 2 years. I wasn't expecting them to happen when I opened the credit card, but things happen. Anyways, they called me last... show more I have an outstanding balance with a credit card company in the amount of 1,600.00. I haven't paid on it since August 2005 because of a lot of hard times that have hit me these last 2 years. I wasn't expecting them to happen when I opened the credit card, but things happen. Anyways, they called me last night and told me if I didn't make a payment by the end of December I was going to get summoned to court. I even cried on the phone and she said there was nothing she could do and I would be slammed by the lawyer fees and so on. I can't take this. Is it true they really could take me to court if I didn't pay by the end of this month or is it a scam to get my money quicker?