Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Have any of you soldiers out there uttered the following phrases to a civilian?

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it"

"We follow orders or people die. Its that simple"

"You're damn right I issued that code red!"

Bill- So soldiers cant say the same lines?

Favorite Answer

Only when I'm quoting the movie. I love that movie. Watch it at least once a month.

"You want answers?!"

"I think I'm entitled."

"DO YOU WANT ANSWERS?!?!"

"I want the truth!"

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! Son we live in a world that has walls and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's going to do it? You? You, Lieutenant Wienberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...

You don't want the truth because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty... we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a d*** what you think you're entitled to!"

Source(s): A Few Good Men The quote does a pretty good job of expressing my feelings when I hear criticism from ignorant civilians about the way we fight the war.

No, I never have and I think it would be awful strange to ever say it. You have to remember the "context" this was uttered in and what he was really trying to say. COL Jessup was stating, in a rather roguesque manner, that he disagreed with non-Marine Corps personnel sitting in judgment on Marine traditions and procedures. His feeling was that since they did not serve in the Marines and had no experience with their particular situation, then they had no standing to levy judgment. Its kind of like the old legal principle of the complainant having "standing to sue." (which Jessup implies with the line "Then I suggest you grab a weapon and stand a post."). I am almost positive that had Tom Cruise's character had any infantry or combat experience, this line could never have been written - it wouldn't have been applicable. With all that said, I have found it a very rare thing indeed for civilians to criticize the manner in which the armed forces operate (other than those extreme cases of misconduct, which does not apply to Jessup's sentiments since these incidents are by definition against normal procedure/policy and have never been part of military tradition). You certainly wouldn't say this to an anti-war protester - they aren't disagreeing with military procedure or tradition; they are opposed to the war. Just an opinion.

I have never given that kind of answer to a civilian. I have given a variation of the we follow orders or people die thing the proviso was if the order was lawful or not suicidal.The other statements are obviously by morons who need their asses kicked!

Source(s): GMG3 USN/USNR

Nope, never uttered any of those phrases to a civilian, or another military member for that matter. However, I HAVE echoed the sentiment of General Douglas MacArthur on many occasions: "No man is entitled to the blessings of liberty unless he is diligent in its preservation."

Colonel Nathan R. Jessup was a Marine, not a Soldier.

I have never said that in so many words. But I have gotten plastard and acording to my wife I have said some things to a couple that may have sounded like that..lol

No but jack nicholson said it to tom cruise in a few good men

You really should not be demonstrating that the only things you know about the military - you learned from movies.

Nope. Would not hurt for people to consider what it means.

No, But we utter a lot of "yes, Sir" and "no, Sir".