How many days ahead of time can i bake pies?

I want to bake my holiday pies ahead of time. But i dont want them to dry out. How many days ahead of Christmas can I bake them?

Favorite Answer

I WOULD DO IT ONE DAY IN ADVANCE

I think the fresher the better ..... but, for baking ahead I would say no more than 2 days for a pumpkin ... 1 day for fruit pies, as the crust gets soggy. Meringue pies definitely the same day.

Happy baking

Unfortunately 2-crust pies (such as apple, mince, etc.) are best within a few hours of their baking because the crusts are still crispy. They are certainly edible the next day however - just not as crispy.

One-crust pies (like pumpkin) are ok even the next day or two after baking. The bottom crust may not be as crisp but they keep fine in the refrigerator.

I would do it the day before. Any earlier and the crust may get soggy if it is a 'juicy' pie or they may dry if it isnt. If you make a pumpkin or sweet potatoe, or a chess pie; you can make then 2-3 days ahead. If you do fruit, I would do the NIGHT before. You dont want fruit to be nasty.

You can back your pie shells way ahead of time for filled pies and just freeze them, pull them when needed and fill and serve.

My mother , baker of several decades of fruit pies, uses tapioca with her filling(not cheap instant, does not dissolve), actually will bake her pies 2 wks out, cool them thoroughly, cover in wax paper and wrap in aluminum foil and freeze them. Pull out day ahead of useage, thaw and serve.

Good luck

One day ahead of time is about right. At the most, two days. Any more than that, and they get soggy or watery.

I'd say bake them the day before you plan to serve them.

4-5 days depending on the type of pie, but that puts you into another dilemma... the temptation to eat them prior to the date of the event. :)

what about a chicken pot pie? Can I make filling tonight and then put together and bake tomorrow?