How many days ahead of time can i bake pies?

I want to bake my holiday pies ahead of time. But i dont want them to dry out. How many days ahead of Christmas can I bake them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I WOULD DO IT ONE DAY IN ADVANCE

• 1 decade ago

I think the fresher the better ..... but, for baking ahead I would say no more than 2 days for a pumpkin ... 1 day for fruit pies, as the crust gets soggy. Meringue pies definitely the same day.

Happy baking

• 1 decade ago

Unfortunately 2-crust pies (such as apple, mince, etc.) are best within a few hours of their baking because the crusts are still crispy. They are certainly edible the next day however - just not as crispy.

One-crust pies (like pumpkin) are ok even the next day or two after baking. The bottom crust may not be as crisp but they keep fine in the refrigerator.

• 1 decade ago

I would do it the day before. Any earlier and the crust may get soggy if it is a 'juicy' pie or they may dry if it isnt. If you make a pumpkin or sweet potatoe, or a chess pie; you can make then 2-3 days ahead. If you do fruit, I would do the NIGHT before. You dont want fruit to be nasty.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can back your pie shells way ahead of time for filled pies and just freeze them, pull them when needed and fill and serve.

My mother , baker of several decades of fruit pies, uses tapioca with her filling(not cheap instant, does not dissolve), actually will bake her pies 2 wks out, cool them thoroughly, cover in wax paper and wrap in aluminum foil and freeze them. Pull out day ahead of useage, thaw and serve.

Good luck

• 1 decade ago

One day ahead of time is about right. At the most, two days. Any more than that, and they get soggy or watery.

• 1 decade ago

I'd say bake them the day before you plan to serve them.

• 1 decade ago

4-5 days depending on the type of pie, but that puts you into another dilemma... the temptation to eat them prior to the date of the event. :)

• 5 years ago

what about a chicken pot pie? Can I make filling tonight and then put together and bake tomorrow?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.