What causes a "mother's glow" when a woman becomes pregnant and does it appear right away?

Favorite Answer

According to http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T011309.asp --

"The "pregnancy glow." The glow that others notice (though you may not) isn't just a sentimental old wives' term. This facial shine actually has a biological basis. The increased volume of blood causes the cheeks to take on an attractive blush, because of the many blood vessels just below the skin's surface. On top of this redness, the increased secretions of the oil glands give the skin a waxy sheen. The flushed face on many pregnant women is similar to the one non-pregnant people experience when they are excited, cry, or do anything that increases their heart rate (which pregnancy does constantly)."

I think feeling like you're 'glowing' is a bit of an old wives' tale, though. I concur with the previous poster re. acne...

The only thing that gave me any kind of glow was this in the beginning i got acne with this baby! My skin was awful and oily. I'm not sure if thats the kind of glow you are suppose to get, but thats what i got! haha as for now, my skin is finally going back to normal but i still have 14 weeks to go til the baby is due, i dont notice a "glow" though. Maybe others notice it. I think the glow thing might also mean something else, like you "glow" because pregnant women put off a happiness to others, others can see the happiness....if that makes sense. Anyway, merry christmas!!

The glow is from all the excess fluid that the baody is retaining and the extra hormones that it is producing. The glow can be there one day and not the next. The glow normally can be seen by others when you are feeling great and smiling. This is hte best time to be able to tell if someone is glowing or not.

• ?

"Your increased blood volume and increased production of the hormone humuan chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) are working together to give you that pregnant "glow." Greater blood volume is bringing more blood to your blood vessels, resulting in skin that looks slightly flushed and plump. The final part of the glow comes from the hormones HCG and progesterone, which are increasing the amount of oil secreted by the oil glands in your face , causing your skin to look smoother and slightly shinier."

It does not appear right away. Sorry for the copy and paste technique, but it answers your question fully.

Source(s): Taken from the book, "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy" Chapter 3: Pregnancy: Weeks 9 to 12

i guess it is the hormones. they start changing the womans body in a short time. and that glow appearing depends i think

when you become pregnant it does not show right away. some days you glow some days you look like and feel like crap.

she's d protagonist in d show. so comes d glow. n its very sweet & serene