Bill pleas?

When u eat at a restaurant at the end of the evening the restaurant will bill you, right? So in SA they say "Can I get the bill pleas" and in the USA thy say "Can I get the check pleas" Why check?

Favorite Answer

its just what we have always said cause it is like a bill that you have to pay no matter what

I think it all started way back, when I was working my first job in a restaurant, all the items were on the order form, we checked off what they wanted and how they wanted it beside the food order. This was also their bill, it had the total amount of their order on it.

It goes both ways in the US. It is going to depend on the region you are in. I ask for the bill, because I think it sounds silly to ask for a check. I also call the money drawer the till.

The order is written down on a check pad.

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I say both. Either "we'd like the check please" or "we'd like to pay our bill now". I don't know where that difference came from.

it's just cultural differences. in america we call it bathroom, in britan, they call it the loo. in america we say about, in cananda they say aboot.