Any good Ideals for finding good tenants for a rental home?

Favorite Answer

You run credit checks, verify jobs and job history and call back 2-3 former landlords.

Through a rental agent. Some real estate offices offer them. They will screen and pull credit reports and ask for financial statements. Usual cost is 1/2 the first month's rent. Cheap for what you get.

In the town that I live in, I just run an ad in the paper, but it's a hassle screening out the bad from the good. You have have to show it dozens of times. Make sure you have applications you hand out to each looker...that helps tremendously.

If you do this on your own, be aware of the discrimination laws. Typically, you can only discriminate against the size of the family...per se: 6 people want a 2 bedroom home. Be careful.

Best of Luck! and Happy Holidays!

Source(s): A landlord for years and had good successes.

I find most tenants through a For Rent sign out front, and listing the rental on www.craisglist.org

I use this company to do credit/criminal background checks:

http://www.rentalresearch.com/

Also check if your area has a Multihousing Association where you can get standard application forms and leases to use. Verify peoples' employment and previous rental history to make sure they're not lying to you. Some people seem great but sadly are not. :-/

There are property management companies that will screen tenants, run credit checks, etc. for you for a fee. Otherwise, I would suggest you put the word out amongst people you know. If you go to church, place an ad in the weekly bulletin. Send an email out to all your contacts with the home info/details. It's best if you can find a tenant that others will vouch for, if you can possibly find such a tenant.

U NEED TO MAKE A LINK WITH AN AGENT THEN U CAN SAY I ONLY WANT PROPER PROFFS, MSS ME ILL FIND U SOM @7%

Source(s): 2YEARS EXP