family guy asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

ok i want to start up bike rideing to improve my fitness but how long should i start riding for?

Ok bought a new bike from big w and want to add bike rideing into my fitness regime but i dont know how long i should ride for as ive been told that i should build myself up. the bike i bought is a 18 speed mountain bike wich i intend to take up into the closest national park and do some serious bike rideing. However for now its just back street cruiseing untill i get my cardio up to scratch so any one got a few good bikeing tips?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you right, start off simple. keep the terrain flat and the ride to less than 3 miles. do that for one week. each week, increase your distance by 1 mile, maybe 2 if you really feel like you are progressing. you can also move to more hilly areas.

a major part of it is stretching. if you dont stretch before a ride, you wont go 200 ft before you start to poop out. 10mins of stretching could give you an hour more of riding time.

mountain biking is the best way to get fit (in my opinion) when you go off road (and at high speeds) you use more of your body than on the road. you use your entire body to manuver around the bends, up hills, and over obstacles. after a few months of this, and you will notice your legs getting toned, stronger arms, and more defined muscles everywhere else.

most important of all, have fun! if you arent in the physical mindset to have fun, then you wont push yourself very hard and wont progress nearly as fast.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Start slow. Strech before and after and slowly build up miles. You will know when you are ready, but when in doubt go slow and short. Don't forget that riding on a road is considerably easier than riding on a trail. A 10 mile ride on a road may only take you 30-45 minutes but a 10 mile ride on a trail can easily take you over an hour.

Before you take your bike on any trails, be comfortable with your bike and be sure you can handle your bike with confidence. You will run into many more obstacles on the trail and if you aren't prepared you can get seriously injured. Wear a helmet, bring plenty of water, and don't forget a cell phone!

Also depending on where you are, check to see if there are any MTB clubs or groups that can help out. It is always more fun to ride with a group than ride alone, plus if you are a beginner, they can give you some invaluable pointers. Your local bike shops should know if there are any such groups.

• 1 decade ago

First tip is make sure the bike is sized to fit you. Most common problem I see is the seat and handlebars are both way too low.

There are several rules of thumb for setting the seat height, but they'll all get you into the right ballpark. Basically you want the seat high enough that your legs almost fully extend when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke, but not so high that you have to "reach" with your foot or by tilting your hips or by locking your knees.

The handlebars should be at least level with the seat height, higher if you have a belly or a tight back.

So for getting started, once you get your initial fit set up (it's a never-ending tweaking process as your fitness and knowledge and flexibility changes), just start riding.

Learn to use the gears to keep your legs in the 60+ rpm range (each foot goes around 60+ rpm). Usually that means you'll have a few favorite gears, which is fine.

Start out with a pace where you can carry on a conversation without gasping. If you're way outta shape, get a doctor to do a stress test on you first. Otherwise, just take it easy - if you overdo it your body will let you know. A lot of folks use an alternate-day schedule, it helps with time demands and gives your body time to recover and rebuild between rides.

Good luck, have fun

Scott

• 1 decade ago

A new 18 speed bike ? Where ? Sorry, but all 18 speed bikes are out-dated. How long you ride will depend on you. It will vary from person to person. It takes time to build yourself up. And winter is close by...Just go out for an hour and see how you feel the next day...And take it from there...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kaori
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I hope big W isn't Walmart...Why ? Because their bikes are junk as far as quality goes. Sorry, don't mean to sound mean. A bike from Walmart / Target / K-Mart are best for kids who will trash them in two months anyway. You won't be able to do any serious riding on a Walmart bike. They just are'nt built for it. It's going to break down. Not to mention weight. You may want to look for something used. Trek, Giant....makes some good entry level mountain bikes.

As for training, it will depend on how good of shape you already are, or are'nt. Just start out slow and see what your body tells you.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Check the tires for dry rot -- cracking -- it will be very noticeable. If they are dry rotted, buy new tires. Wash and dry the entire bike. Clean your chain with WD-40 and a rag. Drip one drop of chain lube on each roller at the corner so it can penetrate in. Inspect your brakes -- If rim style ie: U or V check the pads for wear, replace as necessary. If disk, and your rotors are surface rusted, buff them lightly with a scotch brite pad (If you don't know where to get these go to the dish soap dept of your grocery store) to make them shiny again. Wipe with a clean dry towel. Check their operation -- if something doesn't work fix or replace the causeual part. Function check your derailleurs. Air up your tires if you haven't done so. Ride it on the flat and check that everything works. Ride have fun!

• KR7
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

start slow, like do a mile a day for the first 4 days, then take a break.

the next 4 days after your break, go 2 miles, take a break.

after that break, go 5 miles the next day, 3 miles the next, take a break, and then go 5 miles again.

do it nice and leisurely. don't race in the begining.

stretch afterwords, esp your quads and calves.

make sure your seat is high enough. make sure that when you stand over the bike, in front of the seat, that the frame is about 2 inches, one inch below your crotch.

wear a helmet!!! bring water!!!

slow and easy wins the race...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.