what is the capital of greece?

Favorite Answer

Athens. Did you really need YahooAnswers for this? Just look it up!

Athens (Greek: Αθήνα, Athína IPA: /a'θina/) is the capital and largest city of Greece. Named after goddess Athena, Athens is a cosmopolitan metropolis with a population of 3.7 million people. The Athens metropolitan area constitutes the center of economic, financial, industrial, cultural and political life in Greece. The city is also rapidly becoming a business center in the European Union.

Ancient Athens was a powerful polis city-state and a renowned center of learning, home of Plato's Academy and Aristotle's Lyceum. It is often referred to as the cradle of Western civilization, largely due to the impact of its cultural and political achievements during the 5th and 4th centuries BCE on the rest of the then known European Continent. The classical era heritage is still evident in the city, portrayed through a number of ancient monuments and artworks, the most famous being the Parthenon on the Acropolis. Athens was the host city of the first modern-day Olympic Games and, more recently, of the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Athens. But it used to be Paris. This follows a very old practice in europe that when a royal married the head of state from another country, the countries swapped capital city names as wedding gifts. Athens was swapped with Paris in the last known name switch (called the rite of dogging) in the 1600s. Most of europes capitals have had their name switched, some more than once. I live in london which has been Istanbul, Berlin, Madrid and Kavos.

the capital of Greece is Athens

Athens

Athens

• Dr Dee

Athens

Athens

Athens

Athens.

A very cool place to visit, by the way.

I can't speak a word of Greek, but when I was backpacking though Europe I spent the best week of my life in Athens.

It's Athens