can a deaf person read lips?

theres a deaf boy on my bus whos in about 6th grade and he sat next to me yesterday. He was trying to talk to me about the pictures he was drawing but i couldnt understand him. The only thing he could say clearly was "my name is tommy". i know that some deaf people can read lips but i didnt want to try talking to him because i didnt want to look like a dumbass talking to a deaf person ;) is there anyway that you can tell if a deaf person can read lips?

Favorite Answer

You can ask him if he reads lips. Only about 25% of spoken English is clearly readable and a majority of people (Deaf or not) cannot read lips accurately enough to carry a conversation based soley on that, but some people are better at it than others. The one phrase almost every Deaf person knows how to read is "do you read lips?" If he says no, you can learn some sign language, or communicate by writing back and forth.

You won't look like a dumbass, I promise.

Try asking him if he can read lips. Its a skill like any other and can be learned. If you care and are interested, there are sites on the web that teach signing for the deaf. Look one up.

right down can u read lips on paper and give it to him

i have this hot deaf girl in my class i learn sign langauge before that we wrote notes

i am still dating her its been 3 months