Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareScanners · 1 decade ago

What is a good level of "dpi" to look for when shopping for a scanner?

I'm an artist who has been used to drawing on paper, with pencil, with ink, with markers, and with other tools for my media. I've been an artist for almost 30 years, but haven't drawn much in the past 4-5 years or so. I am thinking of getting a scanner so that I can draw pictures with pencil, then scan them to edit and color them in photoshop type programs. I want an inexpensive scanner, and don't mind shopping Wal-Mart for one that runs about $60-70+. However, I want a scanner that can scan graphite and color marker very accurately. What is a good "dpi" to shop for in a scanner for such purposes? Any help's appreciated. Thanks. :)

Favorite Answer

If you're using your scans for web artwork, just remember that most sites are just fine with 72dpi. More than that has a tendency to "moire", just as in print.

If, however, you want to print your finished artwork out, you'll want at least 300dpi and a printer that can also print out at 300dpi. Not a problem, as most color printers offer at least 300dpi.

Best idea is to "match" the dpi of your printer and scanner so that they have the same max dpi output.

The higher the better. DPI = Dots Per Inch

However 300 DPI is usually sufficient to work with under normal circumstances. The higher DPI you make a file the larger it is and that makes it harder for your computer to handle. But look for the highest DPI rating when buying a scanner. You want to have the capability to scan lets say a slide - you need a lot of DPI for that, since a slide is tiny. But its better to have a higher DPI capability and not need it then needing a higher DPI and not having it.

Also do yourself a favor, get a program called "Paperport", get the newest version, this is the program you want to use with any scanner. Usually the programs that come with scanners SUCK. I only use "Paperport", and my life is just so much easier.

Shopping local means buying from non-chain family owned businesses and farms first. I am not a vegetarian (yet) but I am an organic foods freak, but I have to admit that Whole Foods has a better fresher selection that some of the other local health foods stores. Also, they post the country of origin of their produce and sometimes of their seafood. This is very healthy. During the summer I will try to join one of the local organic food coops though. Shopping local means shopping at a local family owned pharmacy (which I do), hardware store (rather than Lowes of Home Depot), local clothing stores, etc. Often the prices are higher because they cannot afford to buy huge inventories. Also, I'm pretty sure the chains drop their prices to squeeze out the family owned businesses. It's a crime, because they go out of business, then the prices in the chains rise and the quality drops dramatically. One very nice "business" we have is "freecycle". I'll probably get more active in that.

• BAM

That depends on your needs. Since you are an artist, you probably want to go with a higher DPI. 72 dpi is what most photographs and images on the web are at. The higher your DPI, the larger the size of the image...the longer it takes to download.

Canon FS-4000

High end "personal", (very) inexpensive "professional" film scanner, 4000 dpi resolution (65 meg file from 35mm negative!), 14 bits per channel, dual USB & SCSI interface.