school bus stops, and kids' safety?

I have an idea for keeping cars from passing by busses that have stopped and endangering kids: have the busses pull into the oncoming lane and then pulling the front of the bus back into the right lane, so that no cars can pass in either direction. Then when the kids are safe, then pull away.

Is this a good idea?

Favorite Answer

sounds good but no!

the 8way light's on the bus will not be facing traffic.thay will think you are turning .

a better way is to just cross the middle of the road and stay strat.

that way thay will see the 8ways light's

That would put the bus in a dangerous position. Therefore it would not be allowed. It also would be breaking laws which buses should not. Not all cars that do not stop are coming slowly and do not expect the lane to be blocked. I have seen ice covered roads where cars tried to stop and slid on by. They try to make routes where children do not have to cross the road, but this is not always possible. Also the lights would not show in the crosswise position.

Source(s): school bus safety officer

Speed cameras on every school bus that activate as soon as its stationary, with corresponding laws about speed past buses. I think that will do the job without major disruption to traffic, or the risk of drunks plowing into the bus. Here in NZ the max past a school bus is 30k/ph (20mph), Im maybe the only person who slows to it! Good question.

• Ted T

Could be if the road isn't too wide although with some of the drivers I"ve seen they would try to go under the bl@@dy bus.

in my town they already do that