If the internet died in 5 minutes, for everyone, everywhere-no more world wide web?

Do you think there would be an increase in sexual crimes due to the amount of people looking at pornography online? Would the world enter a new reality or would everyone adjust?

• jan
    Favorite Answer

Do you think there would be an increase in sexual crimes due to the amount of people looking at pornography online?

No. There is no connection between the two. People were raping one another long before porn.

Would the world enter a new reality or would everyone adjust?

Since the internet has massively changed the world then losing it would, obviously, mean another new reality. It isn't an either/or choice. There would be change and everyone would adjust. That's the way humans work.

///

I think pornography and sex crimes would be the LAST thing that we would have to worry about. Just think about how the Internet has affected our lives. From medical records on the doctor's laptop during office visits, to online banking (your finances controlled, tracked, deposited, and redistributed miles and miles away from the bank) to some people's only social contact, the loss of the world wide web would have a devastating effect on the entire globe. Some people would honestly not know what to do, and in my opinion, would not be able to survive. Yes, there would be a very different reality. We would have to remember back a few decades and relearn how to function in a hands-on world, but we would make it.

Fortunately, this will never happen, unless somehow the entire Earth loses all electricity or all computers stop working simultaneously. Why? Because the Internet is not something with a defineable source. Every server that sends information to another person's browser is capable of sustaining the basics of the world wide web. Granted, the volume of information would change depending on how many servers are available, but it would still be alive and able to be built up again.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I just wanted to share my views. And because I'm on the Internet, these words will be available to anyone on the planet that has a browser that's being served by another computer. That's an amazing concept that's changed our reality completely over the last few short years.

Blessings...and happy surfing!!

Wow, surfer, pretty broad question. But thought-provoking, for sure. First, is there a correlation between the viewing of pornography and sexual crimes? (ie: the more that is viewed, the less crimes that occur?) I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that this would not create anarchy. People would migrate to the next most convenient sources, which would probably create a boom in television porno. After all, do people watch pornography to abate sexual deviancy, or to replace, or enhance normal sexual desires?

Your next question is tricky, in that I don't think a "new reality" would spring-up out of no where, but a heightened awareness of other levels of reality would occur. People would, obviously, have to replace the inordinate amount of time that is currently spent here with something. I believe the "adjustment" here would be difficult and the ramifications vast, in that the current world paradigm includes speed and immediacy...things which would be set back, not quite 50 years, as satellite technology would still be in place.

Can a 16 year-old, in 2006, imagine doing this: They need information for a report, but instead of googling it, they would have to get dressed, find a way to the library, regardless of the weather, do a look-up for books on their subject, find the book (and hope it were there), READ the book to extract the info and possibly even have to take notes with a pen and paper. Things that we can now do in seconds would takes hours. This is pretty much the way things would go without the internet, not to mention millions of businesses, relationships and fun that would cease to exist. New realities? Lots of them! To some, in the long run, would be that things would slow down and people might take a healthier view and appreciation of life. Count your blessings...it's an amazing time we live in...

No. There are plenty of sexual crimes going on because of the internet. Like the crime that I am stalking you right now because you look hot.

Everyone would not adjust. It's easier to give and make people accept it than it is to take away and make people accept that.

If the WWW goes down tomorrow. A new form of WWW would be up the next day.

Hopefully with your number so I can call you and get a date.

Cereal

When the internet began it didn't create a fall in sex crimes - so I don't see why an absence of the internet would cause an increase.

Apart from anything else, not everyone uses the internet for porn you know... If the internet died I think a more important concern would be the breakdown of the world economy - there might be an increase in suicides maybe.

No, there wouldn't be an outbreak of sex crimes. At least it wouldn't be noticeable in the midst of the financial chaos and despondent people who are unable to get to Yahoo Answers.

People would adjust and rebuild the network eventually. Even if this magical elimination of the internet meant that it was impossible to start stringing tcp/ip networks together, there are other, older options that would probably be deployed at first, like the dialup BBS and FidoNet style message networks.

• jessee

I dunno. cellular telephones ought to nonetheless call one yet another/textual content fabric, so communique does not be a prob. And all through fact internet dies does not propose electrical energy dies, so people won't without notice lose air con in warm places or a heater interior the wintry climate. everybody ought to verify to pass outdoors because there's no internet. a majority of those people would be socially awkward, and whilst thousands of them are all outdoors at the same time, they would be able to kill one yet another. it relatively is the catastrophic element sure to take place if the internet stops working for 5 minutes.

I think everyone would adjust eventually just like anything else but i think it would be a HUGE shock at first. People wouldn't know what to do with themselves. NO EMAIL-----how would you contact anyone....thank God they'd still have Cell phones! Otherwise the world might as well just END!!!!

• jackie

If the Internet died it would be the best thing to happen. Life was better when people talked to each other. As far as Internet porn those perverts only get more stirred up watching that junk.

i think pornography over the internet could affect everyones mind...but it only depends on the people whos looking over the porn stuff...those who cant handle it are the perverts that cant even hook up with a girl...those perverts are virgins who like to jack themselves off...