mojo asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

Does windows explorer need access to the internet? If So why?

To cause of my question is I installed a new firewall , and its telling me that explorer requires is trying to open some ports. I can see why explorer would need access, as I only use it to browse my machine. Am I doind harm in blocking them.... or worse still could somebody be hacking me , and browsing my machine

Okay just to clarify I am not stupid and am not confusing iExplorer with Windows Explorer.

• jan
    Favorite Answer

Windows Explorer does not.

Internet Explorer does.

I think you are confusing the two explorers.

///

YOur not doing any harm. your merly stopping IE from accesing the internet(which youneed if you want to browse). Its doubtful anyone is "hacking me" but the firewall with an antivirus program wil help prevent that. Windows Explorer typically does not need acess to the internet unless theres some machine on a network your trying to acess(Ex. Conecting to a printer on a network, FTP a site)

You may encounter undesired side effects if you block Windows Explorer from accessing the internet. I would be extremely careful before making such a move.

They are both part of the same program.

You can also use Windows Explorer to search the web (this is why it wants access).

But you should be able to block it without causing a problem.

Or you can give it access and that shouldn't cause problems either.

Basically do whatever you want to.

No one is trying to hack you.

Many others programs trying to establish internet connection, such winamp, acdsee, and other.Windows explorer trying also, but block it.It does not need to be on internet.

i had a similar problem, try downloading the mozilla firefox browser, it's much better anyway.