Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

How can I rent with bad credit in Seattle area?

I live in Seattle area and I need to move from my apartment. I have bad credit and I have no idea how easy or hard is to find a place to live that will accept me. Does that credit really metters to rent??

Favorite Answer

Check out rentals on seattle craigslist. Look for duplexes or triplexes - they are usually just regular people who own the whole house and live in one of the units and they usually don't do a credit check as long as you make a good first impression. In my opinion, this is the very best way to rent in Seattle.

Also, if you do want to go with an apartment complex like the St. James Tower in Fremont, they will still let you if you have bad credit, they will just ask for a bigger deposit.

Landlords are more worried about whether you have paid landlords than whether you paid everybody else. I have gotten several apartments, in Seattle and elsewhere, with varying degrees of bad credit, even a decade or so ago when I had a recent bankruptcy. I think your odds of finding an apartment in a metropolitan area where they will not run a credit check are very low - I haven't found a landlord who didn't run one in more than 10 yrs. However, as long as they can call a former landlord to verify that you have paid, your credit report does not show a former landlord among your creditors, and you can prove that you have sufficient income to pay your rent, you should not have trouble. If they turn you down and you can afford it, do offer to pay an additional deposit.

Right now the rental market in Seattle is very tight. I just moved about a week ago, and only found an apartment by checking Craigslist. A friend who moved a month before I did had the same problem. So, don't give up if you have a hard time. There are places out there!

Houses For Rent Seattle Craigslist

for larger buildings and some associations it will matter. your best bet is to look in the paper or online and rent from an individual and not a community. they will be less likely to do a credit check.

• Lexi

credit doesn't always matter. places that are managed by large companies usually do credit checks. you can try and try to prove that you are trust worthy. you might have to pay a higher security deposit.

also look for places that do not require a security deposit.

Credit matters a lot. Offer an additional security deposit.

This is puzzling to me too

• josefa

Well, it depends..

Check out, please