How do I block unauthorized people from viewing my webcam?

i understand that there are now programs that you can download that allows the user to view your webcam without your permission like the one available in http://www.oatmealmedia.net/.. is there any other programs/softwares that can block this unauthorized person from viewing my webcam?

i understand that there are now programs that you can download that allows the user to view your webcam without your permission like the one available in http://www.oatmealmedia.net/.. is there any other programs/softwares that can block this unauthorized person from viewing my webcam? i'd like to chat with my friends and turn on my webcam without someone out there viewing it without my permission.. plz help..

i thank u all for the answers.. but if the person uses the sofware mentioned above.. (please click on the address to fully understand how it works)..they are able to access my webcam WITHOUT EVEN ASKING my permission.. n EVEN NOT ME KNOWING that he's watching.. so i'd like some suggestions on any softwares available that can enable me to chat with my friends and turn on my webcam without people spying on my webcam.. thank u for the help..

Favorite Answer

Nothing is 100% secure. . .

With any messenger service, there are holes and bugs that can be exploited. This is simiply because the messenger service uses a public forum to transmit and receive images, thus it can be received my people other than the intended viewer. Yahoo, Msn, AIM. . . . they all work the same way.

A good method to use if you want to use yahoo, is to create a screen name that you use ONLY for webcam chat with your friends. When prompted by yahoo to register your name in the members database. . . choose NO. . . . Never go into a chatroom with that name. . . people can't search for your cam unless it's registered in the database, and they won't know to try your name if you are not in chat. Still not 100% effective, but better than nothing.

The best method to prevent unauthorized interception of your data, is to use a 1 on 1 webcam connection. . . This has drawbacks however, because both people must have a webcam, both people must use the same program, and the other person will know your IP number. Most of these programs are hard to find, as they are older and have become outdated. But they establish a connection directly between 2 computers without going through a third party. . . unless you have a trajan on your computer, it is secure. . . and if you have a trojan, you have bigger problems than who is watching your cam.

You can choose people who are able to view your cam and ignore other view requests.

Here's how:

go to yahoo messenger menu

click MESSENGER

click PREFERENCES

click WEBCAM

(under when someone tries to view my webcam...)

click the circle next to "Always allow the following people to view my webcam"

click EDIT

(choose the person on your list who you want to view your cam)

click their yahoo ID and then click ADD

click OK (once you have all the list you're allowing to view your cam)

Don't forget to click the box next to "Ignore other view requests"

before you click APPLY and OK

greets,

Kiang:-)

Ps.

The best thing you can do is choose "Always ask for my permission" under when someone tries to view my webcam

because you always have control whether you'll show your cam or not!

examine your important working equipment (i.e. homestead windows ) lots of the time the homestead windows geared up in firewall could be the perpetrator yet do not decrease it off leave it useful yet decrease it sufficient to do what you decide on once you have 2 separate firewalls issues get slightly traumatic maximum classes draw % up and freeze alot, decrease the homestead windows firewall and swap on the norton the homestead windows firewall could be a returned as much as norton.

the obvious - unplug it from your computer