Why do moths fly towards lights?

Im sitting here getting annoyed at a moth that keeps flying past my light and making wierd shadows on the screen and it got me wondering why moths are attracted to lights... I know people say it is because they think its the moon but why would a moth's instincts tell it to fly towards the moon anyway?

Favorite Answer

One hypothesis advanced to explain this behavior is that moths navigate by maintaining a constant angular relationship to a bright celestial light, such as the Moon. The Moon is so far away, that even after traveling great distances, the change in angle between the moth and the light source is negligible. However, when a moth encounters an artificial light and uses it for navigation, the angle changes noticeably after only a short distance. The moth instinctively attempts to correct the angle by turning toward the light, which results in a spiral flight path that gets closer and closer to the light source.

I think they go toward light to find something to eat.

Aww.. at least let a little moth dream!

Other than that though, he may be suicidal..

theyre ready to die... so they fly towards the bright light

Light is hope....................

~Warmth?~