Will my pomeranian die from eating approx. 1/4 of an oreo cookie?

Sorry for repeating my question but the thing is my dog is small...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Once again, no.

    The lethal dose of chocolate for a dog is surprisingly high.

    It's something like 100g of chocolate/1kg of dog. Even if your pommie is just 2 pounds, he'd have to eat a whole chocolate bar or 2 to get seriously sick. And there's much less chocolate in oreo cookies. I understand that you're worried. I have a dog too.

  • 1 decade ago

    Some dogs are more alergic than others. Ihad a dog that ate a piece of chocolate cake and became sick for several days. This was a fairly big dog to. On the other hand i have a smaller mutt that is not bothered by small amounts of chocolate even though we don't feed it to her. If you dog gets sick you might want to go to a vet. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Some more than others.

    Source(s): my sorce if from expirience and from several home magazines,computer,ect.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    he should be ok, but it's VERY good that you took the rest of the cookie out of his mouth! good for you for being so concerned. as for the person whos pet ate a chocolate easter bunny and was told it would take four times that amount for the pet to die, i do not believe that for one second. i know peoples pets that died from a small amount of chocolate -- dogs, and even cats, are HIGHLY allergic to it. just like someone with a peanut allergy, it wouldn't take them several large bags of peanuts for them to be seriously harmed. i'm sure that 1/4 an oreo should be fine though, especially depending on the dogs size. if he starts to seem sick, call a vet and get their final advice.

  • 1 decade ago

    An oreo cookie contains a very tiny amount of cocoa and will not hurt your pom. (an excess of 'em will make her obese but won't hurt her)

    An 8 lb dog will be seriously at risk if they eat 1/2 a pound of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate and unsweetened bakers chocolate will put your dog more at risk. 2 ounces will harm a 10 lb dog.

    "Symptoms may range from from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases." http://www.thedogmaestro.com/healthydog/

    My pom got into a christmas stocking when she was a baby and she ate a whole candy bar and didn't suffer any effects. (I got no sleep for 2 days, watching her run around to make sure she wasn't sick... but she was fine)

    The worry about chocolate is a valid one but it isn't one you need to panic about. It's rare for a dog to be able to eat a pound of milk chocolate or to find a few ounces of unsweetened bakers chocolate and a few bites of a cookie won't do anything to hurt them. :)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    No, it will not die. Oreo cookies do not have that much chocolate in them, dont worry

  • 1 decade ago

    I doubt it. it's the chocolate that's dangerous and in 1/4 of a cookie there's not that much, there's other stuff like fat and flour in there too.

    I'm sure he'll be fine.

  • 1 decade ago

    No, my dogs have eaten way more than that.. Besides there is no real chocolate in oreos..

  • 1 decade ago

    it wont die but avoid chocolates as the fat deposits on the liver of the dog causing gradual damage

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No ..its the baking chocolate that is toxic ..candy chocolate or the sweeten kind is ok ...I had an American eskimo that loved kit kats and M & Ms

  • Absolutely not. The dose is to small even for a small breed.

    Source(s): ER VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.