Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

What the wife can do, if she has got a husband who is totally denying his part in cooking?

The old gender inequalities are fading away now. Even if its still there we must have a mind to fight against it. I like to have life with my loved one in such a way where we both share all our works at home & outside even if its cooking. When both are doing job, having responsibility, on top of it loving each other truly, how I can handle & treat it if my husband is totally not willing to do so?

Favorite Answer

Its simple really

Go visit all the local take outs in your area get their menus , when your hubby decides he does not want to share in the cooking ..order out ...his nickle and your choice ..and you could look for some really simple cook books ( simple enough for a man to read ) leave them right where he can see them

I agree with you that both parties should share in the running of the house hold but have you stopped to consider that maybe he can't cook OR thinks you wont like his cooking so he wont try

there are so many ways around this problem of yours without making a huge deal out of it ...

I wish you all the best and IF by chance you get him to cook remember to praise him for it ...

• helly

I do all the cooking in my house, but my husband works long hours, and I am at home, so it is different, but even when I was working full time, I still did the cooking. Occasionally he would, but everything he knows how to cook has been learned from me - he's not a natural cook, whereas I get pleasure from making new and interesting dishes. I like doing dinner parties, and cooking for guests too.

It could be just that the kitchen is your forte. I would rather do the cooking and make meals, rather than watch my husband struggle over the stove. He's good at other stuff in the house, like DIY (I am hopeless at putting a shelf up - cliched, but true). I would rather he did other stuff than insist on him sharing a chore he finds difficult, and I enjoy.

Equality and sharing doesn't have to mean every single household chore is shared equally. I'm sure he has his talents in other areas too.

yes equality is a wonderful thing and in an ideal world we would all share,but truth is some people are better at somethings than others ,suppose your husband really cant cook is it worth spoiling a good relationship??maybe he is good at something you don't like doing ,maybe you could go on a cooking holiday together get a spirit of competition into it and remember the other word as well as equality there is compromise.

• LC

Stop doing those things for him.

I was frustrasted with my husband when it was his night to cook and he didn't so I stopped making dinner for him on those nights and I would buy something just for the kids or make them something single just for them. I also gave him the cold shoulder. He got the message after a few weeks and now he's does most of the cooking.

You could suggest that you cook together with him preparing the meal and you cooking. Or you could prepare and let him cook. Whatever way, praise his ability and even if it is a lie, tell him it taste great.

One question, Do you work outside the home?

If not but he does, suck it up and do your work.

If he is the money earner it is not even close to fair to expect him to work at a job and work at home as well.

If you are working outside the home then you both need to do a task bugdget where ALL the jobs are shared.

Stop cooking for him!