Kotex launched the first sanitary napkin in 1920.What did women use to do before that during menstruation?

• Carole
    Favorite Answer

Flour sacks used to be made out of fabric. Women would tear the used bags up into rags and use them. Thats where the term "on the rag" comes from.

Rags: thus the term "riding the rag."

See the links below. Can you believe there is a Museum of Menstruation and Women's Health!

I wondered about the flour sacks and one having a yeast infection and the summer heat, weather that would cause the rags to rise or swell........sorry, just thinking out loud.

Man the women folk get it from both ends, don't they? No pun intended if there was one.

Rags, Actually referred to them as Granny Rags. Gross!!! They had to wash those suckers and re-use them. And no washing machines either. Struck me as being funny the way you said "launched their first sanitary napkin", like it was launched out of a cannon. Hope it hit it's intended target. LOL

My grandmother reported to me when I was young, that years ago, flour was sold in 20 lb bags at the grocery store. the bags were made of a soft cotton usually flower printed material.The ladies would take those grocery flour bags and make "pads", by cutting out "pads" and sewing the layers together. If they were in open territory, and traveling, they would bury the used "pads". If the ladies were at home, they would wash them out by hand, and use them over and over again.

Source(s): My grandmother. I can not leave a name for personal reasons.

Rags. I think the term, "on the rag" is a gross one.

I think it is much better for women to use the '50's expression, "I fell off the roof."

I think "rags" are the answer. This is most likely where the term "on the rag" came from...

Rags, therefore the term, 'got the rags on'.

Rags. That's how the term 'got my rags' came about.

• they wore 3 layered dresses before that.