I'm looking for the rules Auctioneers must abide by in California?

Specifically I was at a auction yesterday where they listed around 300 items for sale and most were to be auctioned off starting at $1 with no reserve, some items were 20,000 to 40,000$$$ and more, not all after about 80% they announced folks we are out of time and if anybody has any item they want that hasent been auctioned please mention it now to the manager. I wanted to see all items go and I was willing to wait, but was to embarassed as it was a auction of a friend of a friend and did not want to upset my friend, I politely asked a assistant manager before the auction was actually over and was told everybodys leaving and mr x is not goint to loose $100,000 to $200,000 thats why he is ending it early there wasnt enough money left or people to buy it all... My contention was if it was $1 with no reserver I would have bought up everything that was left... Was this legit to stop the auction early???

Favorite Answer

They didn't guarantee to sell everything no matter what. If they had put it to bid and then not taken a $1 bid that would have violated their terms and conditions. By not placing them (stopping early) they got out of it. Sorry.