North on Google Maps?

Google Maps doesn't have a compass on it indicating which direction is North. One could assume it is the top of the screen as is traditional , but I can't afford to assume.

Anyone know of any documentation proving which way is North on Google Maps?

Just compared two locations in Australia (ie george st, Sydney, Australia) between:

maps.google.com

and

www.whereis.com.au

The maps line up and Where Is has a compass that points north to the top of the page.

Favorite Answer

you can use google earth instead, it is a lot better.

:> peace

.

Google maps is absolutely oriented so that the top of the screen is north and so forth. I can't give you documentation on it, but i'm so sure that I wouldn't even know how to react if someone could prove to me that this isn't true. I am so positively sure. Plus, this isn't the kind of map that you want to use whenever the issue is so important that you can't afford to assume something like that.

North is toward the top of the screen on Google Maps.

In Google Earth (separately installed 3D map software), that's not always the case, but it is in Google Maps.

go to wikimapia.com it is better than google earth.

its zoom slightly more than google earth.