What happened to all my Itunes songs?

They were alive and well a few minutes ago, but I just opened up Itunes and they were all gone, as well as my playlists and everything. What could have happened? My files are still here.

Favorite Answer

This happened to me a couple years ago and I still don't know why. Some files got deleted from your computer somehow that iTunes needs. I know which ones they are now and I back them up.

You could check if they are in your Recycle bin, but I doubt it.

The names start with iTunes and they are files of type xml and itl.

They belong in a directory called something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your_Name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

Source(s): Same experience.

this happend to me yesterday im so P****d off about it. i had just put new songs on there too. i left it on to down load (from acqlite) and when i came back and opend itunes (im using a mac btw) all my playlists and songs were gone (apart from a few songs that were the first songs ever put on my itunes list)!! i didnt do anything for this to happen. altho the recycle bin had been cleard that day, maybe that had something in it that deleted my songs? i dont know.

so now i am sitting here downloading all my songs back >.< *sigh* i even had songs i had put on from cd's which i dont even have anymore. and songs i dont even remember the names of! Argh! *shakes fist @ Itunes*

I've got no clue, but stop buying music. I swear iTunes is defective... I bought ONE song from their store, and after a while, it wouldn't work anymore on my iPod! Download LimeWire... get songs for free!

did you syncronize? it earases all your songs