What instrument was "Silent Night" originally written for?

I'm still trying to win this contest at work. Please keep all the wonderful help coming my way. I hope all of you who have taken the time to answer my questions have a wonderful holiday season. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Favorite Answer

Many interesting fables abound for the origins of "Silent Night." Most of them are fanciful and untrue.

The Christmas Eve of 1818 was at hand. Pastor Joseph Mohr of St. Nicholas Church in Oberndorf decided that he needed a carol for the Christmas Eve service. The little poem he had written two years earlier while serving at the pilgrim church in Mariapfarr just might work. Perhaps this poem could be set to music. He hurried off to see his friend, Franz Xaver Gruber, who was a schoolteacher and also served as the church's organist and choir master. Maybe he could help. He did.

In a few short hours Franz came up with the hauntingly beautiful melody that is so loved and revered to this day. At the request of Joseph, who had a special love for his guitar, Franz composed the music for guitar accompaniment. Just short hours later, Franz stood with his friend the pastor, Joseph, in front of the altar in St. Nicholas church and introduced "Stille Nacht" to the congregation.

• show

When Was Silent Night Composed

One hundred and eighty years ago "Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!" was first played in a village church in Oberndorf, Austria. Fr. Joseph Mohr and choir director Franz Xavier Gruber sang accompanied by Mohr's guitar.

The guitar

Organ.

I would guess piano.

I know for sure that it is originally German, "Stille Nacht".

I think it was the piano.