Why are so many anti-smoking laws being enacted?

I'm not a smoker. I have lost relatives who have chosen to smoke, but it was their choice to smoke. Aren't there more dangerous things in going on in the world than people smoking cigarettes?

What really compels some people from today's society to be against smoking, in addition to the aggressive lobbying of lawmakers to enact ineffective anti-smoking laws?

Favorite Answer

because all of the people that smoke are making people who don't smoke die of secondhand smoke, why is that not an important issue, you dope? you should know of all people after losing family members how important it should be.

• MissM

It's not about protecting a smoker's health. You are right, they should have the right to do as they please, as long as their actions don't infringe upon the health and safety of those around them.

The idea of "non-smoking" and "smoking" section of a public area is pretty silly. It is all the same air circulating throughout any open space. I used to work in a restaurant with separate areas, and the smoking area had a special ventilation system above it to supposedly draw out the smoke. Well, it didn't work too well. Anytime I washed the walls and window of the non-smokig section, it had the telltale yellowish grime that results from cigarette smoke.

Plus, as a person with asthma, I can't tell you how many times I have been seated in the non-smoking area and had to move or leave b/c the smoke was visibly wafting from the smoking section to my area. And it's not just irritating, it can be lethal to someone with asthma.

Sure, there are more dangerous things to worry about, but there is the health and safety of the majority non-smoking public to be considered. And it isn't like this is something so difficult to change. They just stop putting out the ashtray...that's it. Little time, effort, and money are required to support this initiative.

So please don't confuse the right to smoke with the right to subject others to your smoke. People can still smoke in their homes, in their cars, in designated smoking areas, outdoors in most places. They just have to be more responsible about ligthing up around others who don't choose to smoke.

And I am curious as to why you would call the anti-smoking laws ineffective. If the goal is to keep provide clean, smoke-free public place to the population, how will these laws not be effective? As far as I have seen so far, it is very effective. I'm no longer hacking up a lung when some clueless person lights up ten feet away from me.

I think the reason is that second hand smoke is worse than actually smoking a cigeratte. So some people get really bothered in a restaurant/bar if someone is smoking around them. I have seen on websites about people talking about how you go home smelling like smoke which is gross and it irratates your contact lenses.

Anyone caught smoking in a vehicle with someone under the age of 18 will be fined between $50 and $250 by local RCMP

• plomza

You are right, it is their choice to commit slow suicide in a way they choose. But it is also my choice not to have to breath their exhaled smoke. Unfortunately smokers have proven themselves to be some of the most inconsiderate people around. And if they don't want to smoke somewhere out of smelling range, then they must be forced by law.

Well done to the lawmakers and the voters you vote them into a position where they can save our lungs.

It's not costing the insurance industry anything. They know how much they have to charge to make a profit. If less people smoked, competition would bring insurance prices down and more people would be able to afford it.

Because smokers punish non-smokers. I still remember when in restaurants they had smoking and non-smoking sections. Which was stupid cause the smoke from the smoking section drifted to the nonsmoking section and I'd be hacking and coughing while trying to eat.

They figure they might save money if less people take up smoking ,get sick and need health care. Trying to prevent people from getting sick isn't such a bad deal. Health care system is pretty big deal really.

smoking is bad for you and gives no benefit whatsoever. passing a law to prohibit smoking is probably the only way to get people to stop killing themselves with this ridiculous waste of money. many people don't even choose to smoke. they decide to try it one day and the next they're hooked. if you ask me, it's about time they did that...

Because it kills.

It is addictive

It cause great harm.

It smells bad

It taste great after a meal or while drinking alcohol or both.

It killed my 35 year old cousin and my 34 year old best friend (who was the guitarist for the Starship)

The argument of second hand smoke being harmful, has been totally dismissed..The group responsible for all this overbearing laws are the same ones who are attempting to take away our religious freedoms of expression. They aren't finished yet...but, are being staunchly refutted in their false claims.