Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is there any way to discourage a cat from scooping his food out of the bowl and on to the floor?

The 'bowl' itself is extremely wide with very low sides, more plate than bowl, so it can't be that he's peeved about whiskers getting in the way.

The dry stuff gets scooped out, and then pushed towards the bowl on the floor. We're mystified as to why.

Favorite Answer

You know, my cat does the exact same thing. At first, we thought it was just him being himself and that no other cat does that, but now that you've mentioned it, I'm starting to think that it's more of an instinct thing. Maybe it's because a single portion of the food is "seperated from its herd?" Felines, wild or domesticated, always divide and conquer their prey, meaning that they will isolate the animal before attacking for the kill. I don't know, that's just my immediate theory.

Oh, and I don't know how old your cat is, but ours is almost 7-months-old now.

• Kdude

A cat eats with it's mouth and to do so it must push the mouth against the food. If the food is in a plate like bowl that will cause the food to push over the side. If I were you cat I would get very frustrated that my food pushes off the side of the plate making it hard to even eat.

Do you cat a favor and purchase a Cat food bowl, normally round but with higher sides with a wall like side,, so that when pushed against the food will stop allowing the cat to actually get a mouthful of food every time. Look at the following letter L and you will see the shape the side should look like.

Food will always end up on the floor however as some will fall out of their mouth if they do not keep the mouth directly over the bowl. You will see a lot less though.

Peace

Do you use a cat food that has multiple types of peices in it? I do and I have a few cats that pick out the peices that they like more and eat that first. I know someone else said a "plate-like bowl" was a bad idea, but if they are "sorting" their food, using a "plate-like bowl" isn't a bad idea. Just don't put as much food in it, put enough in it just to cover the bottom in a single layer or maybe not even that much. This way it is easier for them to "sort" their food.

If that doesn't work, try to find a bowl with higher sides and again, don't fill it up. This way your cat has room to push the food around.

And finally, I have a cat that prefers her food on the floor. To prevent a mess, I went out and found a placemat with raised sides. You can sometimes find these at pet stores, they are ment to put under food dishes. I put her food directly on the mat.

Take your cat to the vet immediately please!! Cats are VERY neat creatures preferring the litterbox - peeing on the floor is in many circumstances an illustration of an infection -- my cat necessary antibiotics for amonth because she had a urinary tract an infection and replaced into peeing on the floor in case your cat is a male it may nicely be even WORSE (ie, bring about a very painful death) If there is not any an infection then both the cat received't like the feel of the clutter (whats up i'm a human yet I have my opportunities in bathroom paper !!!) or the litterbox would not smell large. Do you've extra cats? the overall rule is one clutter field in line with cat -- they're going to use all of them besides the indisputable fact that the more beneficial clutter packing bins will attraction to their territorial instincts. playstation - Cats do not belong outdoors-- that's like telling a 2 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous toddler to bypass play interior the line. Wishing you and kitty the superb -- once you're on the Vet's ask em any and all uestions-- they're going to (they more beneficial!) be happy to respond to Wow! I re-study your post -- she's 18? G-d bless her! DO take her to the vet -- once you get residing house from the vet, relying on what s/he says, your kitty would favor to be restricted to a particular section with pee pads no the floor-- you had her for 18 yrs, do this as an act of comprehend and honor for her love and all the years she gave you. save your different cats -- that is extremely some thing that you may exercising recurring - with the help of doing what the vet says and including your man or woman movements in accordance to what you word occurring round you. at the same time as your elderly kitty finally leaves this international, you'll nonetheless have 2 different kitty acquaintances. at the same time as my loved Princess left this international I had my 2 different cats and altho it did not mitigate my grief it replaced right into a good help in a while whan i finished grieving so extraordinarily and were given decrease back into some kind of recurring with my 2 different cats.

Merry Christmas Kmeennie! I used to work with a vet and he told me this...(mind you this is for small - medium breeds) "these smaller dogs have done this through the centuries because in order to eat they must drag it off a plate or out of a bowl and away from the larger dogs...".Therfore you will not see a large breed do this. And in all the years I've been a Veterinary nurse, he's right! LOL! May you and your furbaby(ies) have a Merrrrrry Christmas! P.S. you may want to get a deeper bowl ~^..^~

• mimi

I had this happen too, I have three cats. I changed brands of cat food and they stopped doing it. It means your cat does not like the cat food your feeding, I found anything with Seafood dry Cat Food works for my cats.

My kitty does this because she is "burying" it for later. I just have to pick it up or she does it obsessively. Or sometimes I just clap my hands at her and distract her. You can try getting a deeper bowl, too. It helps a little.

Try the opposite....

Get a large rimmed bowl....something high....cats tend to pull it off if they can....she'll learn to eat it outta the high bowl (normal food dish) if she cant swat it outta the bowl.

My cat does that too.... but he puts his food in his water dish!

I can't figure out how to stop him!!!

• John B

just put paper on the floor