what are the main differences between "thermo nuclear" and "hydrogen bomb"??

there is fusion reaction in both cases but i want to clear my concept about the fusion ,the joining up of two nuclei,

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Thermo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A thermo nuclear bomb equals a hydrogen bomb.

If there would be more kind of atom nuclei that can fuse (maybe helium) then a hydrogen bomb would be an example of a thermo nuclear bomb.

Th

• 1 decade ago

Fission happens in all nuclear reactions. In the case of a hydrogen bomb, the energy used to overcome the electromagnetic repulsion force between nuclei is overcome by a primary nuclear fission reaction, the energy of which is funneled to the task of joining atoms, which releases more energy.

• 1 decade ago

I would suggest wiki for this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_bomb

But it seems that Hydrogen bomb were so called because they mostly used a heavy element of hydrogen which caused fusion (then 2 atoms join to become one) to create there powerfull force.

While thermo nuclears ones are ones based around uranium or plutonium and work on a fussion process spliting the atom in question to creater there powerfull force

• 1 decade ago

its just a diff. in wording.

a thermo nuclear bomb refers to the fusion that occurs b/c of tremendous heat. a hydrogen bomb refrs specifically to hydrogen for the fusion. it is the only type of thermo nuke nowadays, though theoretically helium could b used.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There is no difference. The terms are interchangeable. Usually thermonuclear is used in the scientific community when talking about fusion reactons.

• 1 decade ago

Bombs of heavier elements like Urianum are fission bombs - to correct a previous entry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.