Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

blood pressure reading(wrist monitor)?

i have been resting(sitting in a chair)last 10-15mins,and my bp reading is-sys=145. Dia=101.Pulse/min=103.as a first reading is this high/low,or ok.and what is a pulse/min average for me? I am aged37 white male 6ft5inches,tall .and 20 stone(smoker+drinker)

Favorite Answer

your blood pressure is a little high compared to "normal" values of 120/80. however, everybody is different and so for you, your normal value might be 145/101. But this is definetly high, you would be classified as a stage 2 hypertensive patient. I'd suggest you take a log of your blood pressure for the rest of the week and see how much it fluctuates.

as for testing your blood pressure...

wrist monitors are generally less accurate and known to make lots of mistakes. make sure when you're using your monitor that your wrist is at the same level as your heart. you can rest it on a table or something else that brings it up to the same level. try testing your blood pressure first thing in the morning as this is the best time to do it - why? because it eliminates other factors that can affect your blood pressure that may happen throughout the day. So if you've eaten recently, drank coffee/alcohol/pop recently, stressed/excited/sad/angry over something then it can affect your blood pressure....even if you've been sitting quietly in your chair for the last 15 minutes.

your pulse rate is a little high too, keep that monitored as well. if by the end of the week your blood pressure is relatively the same...then you could talk to your dr. about it. there are risks with having high blood pressure such as heart attacks and strokes...especially since you smoke and drink.

you can try to reduce salt content in your diet (ie: eat out less, or even try asking restaurants not to salt your fries) and exercise. if you're overweight then losing weight will help.

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

That's too high. You should be evaluated by a physician, although not urgently.

Wrist monitors are sometimes not accurate.

Source(s): I'm a physician.