Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

As a college dean how would you punish a student who pulled a fire alarm during final exams?

Favorite Answer

Very very long paper and apology letter. I'm a firefighter and when we get a call we treat it like its real until we know for sure its not. Going through red lights (stopping first) ect. basically putting ourselves and lots of other people on the road in jeopardy. This also takes trucks that are assigned to the box out of service for any other calls like heart attacks, strokes, and other legitimate calls. Firefighters and other people have been killed responding to false alarms.

Source(s): City Firefighter/EMT 10 years

A part of the answer would be found in policy and the schools code of conduct. Clearly the issue has ramifications beyond the school and so the school should not hide the student from the broader legal consequences (which can be much stiffer than $200). However, if it was during finals it may have had larger consequences upon other students as well (lower grades and such). I would say that a solid diciplinary review is called for and punishment should depend on all the factors in the case. This might include suspension, failing all exams, etc.

In some states, this is considered a Class A Misdemeanor. I live in Arkansas and it is defined by law as inappropriate and punishable by a fine up to $1000 / 10 days of community service and repayment of any fees incurred for any rescue department that responds and a conviction charge of a Class A. The college in which I attend, Arkansas State University system, defines this as a misdeed in which will only grant expulsion and "IC" = incomplete grades, which subsequently may be finished after the term in which he is allowed to re-enter the college system while on probationary status. Hah. I've done my research on this one long ago... don't try it in Arkansas.

• Linkin

Apology letter to the fire department and all the students affected. Fail all courses for the term. 1 yr probation, facing expulsion with another major offense.

Charging him for the time and effort of redoing the exams comes to mind along with expulsion. At college a person should be adult enough to not do something that stupid, if not they obviously don't need to be in college now do they?

• eri

It's not the dean's job. If you pull a fire alarm when there's no fire, you pay for the firemen's time. It's a minimum $200. Try it twice, you'll be facing explusion. That's how they did it at my school.

Probation--failure grade for course--expulsion if second offense--community service to department that responded--let the fireman determine the chore.

Expulsion.

Give him a 3 day suspension, and if he acts up again, make it a week. I am sure his parents would get involved then.

It's a joke, maybe an irresponsible one, but still a joke. Make him scrub toilets??