Are full-time students, who recieve Canadian Employment Insurance benefits, required to seek employment?

Are full-time university students required to continue to seek full-time/part-time employment opportunities in order to continue to recieve their regular, earned employment insurance benefits (in Canada)? Though technically, time to work may appear be available (apart from time actually spent in lectures) - time to read, study, and complete work is not taken into consideration. I would argue that this is frictional unemployment, and the student is in a course of instruction (though not reffered by a human resource centre, etc.) to obtain more job qualifications. Does anyone know the government's stance/position on this issue? thanks..

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Cariad
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not quite sure what you mean...do you mean does a university student who is receiving funding through Employment Insurance (Skills Development) to go to school required to try and find work? Or do you mean students that go to university that have paid into the EI fund previously at jobs and then after school is done are not be able to use the insured hours from previous jobs?

If you are on funded education through Skills Development, there is a form that is required to be filled out where you indicate what hours you are in school and what hours you are unavailable because it is study time. They understand that you need that time to study. That is taken into consideration. However, when you are applying initially for funding, they do look at your economic situation and see what your "training allowance" will be. (EI payments basically, although they can be decreased or increased up to the max. $413 per week) Sometimes people are asked to contribute themselves in addition to whatever the government will pay for through Skills Development. (You need to have minimum 15 classroom hours a week in order to qualify for any funding that may be available)

If you leave employment voluntarily to go to school, normally you do not qualify for EI. (with some exceptions) As well, you cannot go to school and collect EI unless you are approved by Skills Development. (Employment Insurance is a federal program, Skills Development is administered through the provinces) EI was put into place to provide short term assistance for those people who have lost their jobs with just cause. Leaving a job to upgrade is iffy as well and would have to be adjudicated by an agent to see if the hours at that job could be used towards your insured hours for EI. While it can make sense to upgrade yourself, that is not the purpose of EI. In their eyes, you have left employment on your own free will. The purpose of EI is to help people who have lost their jobs until they can rejoin the work force. (or until their benefits run out) Skills Development is another department that can assist in the upgrading....if you are unable to find work otherwise. (you have to do Labour Market Analysis, show what jobs you have applied for, have a return to work action plan etc and that will be decided on by a Skill Development officer) The education you want may be denied through them as well; if you cannot prove that the program you want to take will not benefit you. (There are other factors in there too)

If you are saying that students going to school should be able to collect EI; with the exception of those who have approved funding I talked about...then no. That is not the purpose of Employment Insurance. As I said earlier, the purpose of EI is to provide short term financial aid to those who lost their jobs with just cause. Upgrading is rarely "just cause".

I hope that helped a bit; as I am unsure of your actual question. I would recommend calling Service Canada 1-800-206-7218 and pressing 0 to speak to a real person to get the official stance on your question though.

Source(s): I was just approved for educational funding through Skills Development
  • kroell
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Ei For Students

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.