Being overlooked for promotion?

Do you agreed with the following:

1. Shorter men (men under 5' 5") often get overlooked for promotion and never get to management level?

2. Clean shaven men have more of a chance of getting promoted than men with moustaches?

What do you think the reasons are for this?

Favorite Answer

cos short people often get "over looked " due to their height.

clean shaven is more of a professional appearance than trampy facial hair.

Where I work the manager is about 6 foot tall and is clean cut so I agree with you that you can be overlooked. The height I'm sure is they think if you are shorter then you might be a pushover if someone taller comes in mad. The clean cut look is what's representing the company. Do I think it's right no? I was overlooked for a couple yrs. because I am a woman and I worked in autoparts however, I was aggressive, loyal and dedicated which finally paid off I'm a assistant manager now which is a huge step.

Taller, clean shaven men have more of a commanding presence than short, hairy men. The taller man appears to give out more confidence than a short man so that people tend to believe the taller man more than a short man. Also, overweight, short men are as disadvantaged as the short, hairy man. I have no idea why this is so, must be something in the human psyche, but in 40 years of business experience, including sitting in board meetings etc. I have noticed that the people in charge are invariably tall, unless it is someone with a "Napoleon Complex"where sheer force of personality has promoted him to the higher eschelons of business.

Clean shaven men appear more professional.

Also, smokers aren't usually promoted either.

Regarding short men...it could go either way. I've worked under shortmen managers before -- the only reason they were management was because they had SMS (short man syndrome).

I think that shorter men are maybe not looked at as mature enough, short=being a kid, and clean shaven men look more "professional" than men with moustaches.

I totally agree. You need to have a person to look up to and unfortunately a shorter man is on the losing foot straight away. If someone doesn´t go to work looking smart it gives the impression that their business ethics aren´t smart either. This may not be true to life but unfortunately we live in a world where first impressions last.

Taller men are generally more confident than shorter men and don't have "little person complex".

Clean shaven men look/act more professional (generally) than men with facial hair.

Yeah, I'd agree with your question.

Its the media. They portray a certain look as "in" or "hot". If you dont exactly mold this look, then you can EASILY be overlooked. Companies need people that know what they are doing, but they also have to maintain a certain, appearance. If you dont qualify for that appearance, it doesnt matter if you have ever knowledge of that position, they will give it to someone who doesnt deserve it just because he/she looks the part.

Majority of the time yes. Though its psycological. People generally read the outside of a book before they buy it and read the inside.

I used to have long hair but it made me look moody and scruffy according to pals. I cut it short and had a totally different reaction from everyone I met, even made me feel different. You know what they say - dress for the occasion.

I am 5ft 10" clean shaven - I have found that being taller has its advantages - and being clean shaven is a sign of cleanliness .. people tend to respect you more - if you are a boss/manager .. however - smaller people tend to have that determination about them and are more ... assertive. and they need the Tash.. to look older.- people might think they are Jimmy Krankie..

i don't agree with you at all! I've seen short fat men head honchos of corporations. my last boss (director of the accounting dept) must of been no taller than 5 FT tall.

companies want people that can think, you know brains, and most definite well groomed.

unless your in the modeling business.

chin