Disk Defrag?

I heard from my computer teacher that doing a disk defrag on your computer often, actually ruins it and slows it down......is it tru?

Favorite Answer

Disk defragmentation is beneficial in general. As far as running it often, it is probably overkill to run it every day, your disk structure does not change much from day to day. I recommend to my customers that they run it every 6 months. You could run it every month if you were anxious.

Source(s): Computer Repairman

I would check other sources re: the defrag condition.

I defrag both my home computer and office one on a regular basis. I have a set it and forget it schedule.

My son, the computer genius of the family, recommends regular defragging, to help speed up the computer.

Source(s): I am making these statments from experience, and advice from an individual with a BA in computing.

Then your computer teacher is an idiot.

Failing to defragment the hard drive regularly can cause your Hard drive to wear out more quickly, as it makes it harder and harder to put together all the bits of your files (usually stored in 4kb blocks scattered all over the hard drive, then reassembled when needed).

No, this is not true. Using the disk defragmenter is beneficial for the computer's operation.

Not at all. it keeps the computer running smoothly, by condensing and reorganizing files you use most often!

Not as far as i know,if it does why do they say do it to speed up your pc? What does your teacher teach,programs or bull.