In "A Christmas Carol" Scrooge offers a young boy money to fetch the biggest turkey from the butchers.....

...if the boy returns quickly, he promises him a half a crown. What would half a crown be worth today?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

With inflation it would be worth about £27.43 or US$53.71 today.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

12 1/2 P

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the old days, a crown was equal to 5 shillings. A shilling was equal to 12 pence. 100 pence equals 1 pound sterling. 1 pound is equal to about $1.80 U.S. today! A half a crown is 2.5 shillings (36 pence) or roughly $.64 U.S. Hardly worth the effort!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the thing you would have to keep in mind that you would also have to consider VALUE. You can't just adjust to inflation, but also have to adjust to Cost of Living Value. After all COL has been known to raise higher then just Inflation. Honestly though I am not sure what the amount would be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

don't know what Christmas carol you watched. but its set in England and it should be a goose.

Hence the rhyme Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat...........................................................

Turkey was introduced by Americans during war time and the boy would have received 12.1/2 pence.

• WHAT
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

equivalent to .50 u.s about .75,i think.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i doubt anything at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.