Do I waste energy by leaving the cell phone charger plugged in w/o the cellphone charging?

If I leave the charger itself plugged in, am I using electricity? Or does it only use electricity when I plug the phone in to be charged?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you have a cellphone, have you ever noticed that your charger stays warm even when you are not charging your phone with it? That's because it is still draining electricity. "According to Future Forests, only 5% of the power drawn by cell phone chargers are actually used to charge phones. The other 95% is wasted when you leave it plugged into the wall, but not into your phone.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    I think I was about 8 or 9 when I first got my Mobile Phone I can't remember the model it was an old big kind of phone it was somewhere in the 90's I got my first phone it was a Motorola and the colour was Black. My parents bought it It was Pay as You Go My first service provider was One2One now known as T-Mobile I mostly used it for calling family. Mobile Phones have changed from being basic to more advance and the apps you get on Android or iOS phones are useful for all different things.

  • 1 decade ago

    You are still using what the electric company calls "standby power." It is not a lot, but they do charge for it. This goes for every item in your house that is plugged in but not turned on.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No--the circuit is not complete, so no energy is used.

    I leave mine plugged in all the time, so I can always find it--it has a designated "charge area".

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I'm pretty sure you don't because there's no where for the energy to be taken to.

  • 1 decade ago

    yup... you do... and that goes for all chargers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.