Compelling example of scientific persecution by church?

Can you point me to some specific examples of people being tortured or killed by religious institutions for their scientific observations or curiosity?

Thanks for the help.

Favorite Answer

Galileo was threatened with torture by the church if he didn't stop telling people that the Sun and stars didn't revolve around the earth.

Galileo was neither tortured nor killed, but I hope his example is what you were looking for.

Also Giordano Bruno:

"what the Church executed him for was not his scientific views (copernicanism), but applying empirical methods of research to occult and religious subjects. He wrote treatises on Hermetic Magic and general philosophical works that challenged both the infallibility of the Pope and the omnipotence of God."

Wow that is easy. Galileo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

There are too many to really list. This is a particularly famous one. The pope just couldn't handle that the Sun was the center of the solar system.

Galileo was put to death by those encouraged to do so by the church because he refused to recant his assertion that the world was round, and that it went around the sun, rather than the sun going around the earth as the bible teaches.

Um, i don't know,........, Let me take a wild shot and say.......um.... maybe the Spanish Inquisition?

Source(s): The Book of DUH!!

Yes I can.