I get a rotten egg smell coming up sink drains through out the house when my washer or kitchen sink drains.?

Anytime when all is standing I don't have this smell, not even just running water. The water in a glass has no smell like eggs. How do I get rid of this?

Favorite Answer

the washer is draining out our trap due to syphoning it out. Check that the vent line through the roof is not plugged or restricted.

First, I would say the smell is a symptom of a problem. Try this. Put about 1/2 cup of baking soda in the sink and dump a cup of white vinegar into it to work on bubbling the problem out of the drain. After an hour or so run very hot water for several minutes and see if that helps. You can do this in many of the drains to help flush out the line. If you have a dishwasher, it may need cleaning. The bottom spinner in most all dishwasher will lift straight up and you can clean the screen under it. Look at the spinners and see if the holes are clogged. Pick them out with a nut pick or toothpick to clean the junk out. Then put it back together. You can run a couple of cups of White vinegar through a cycle and it will clean it considerably. You may have trash in the elbow under the sink. Before putting anything into it . Put a bucket under it and open the two connections to the elbow and empty out any trash that might have collected. Without a garbage disposal you must be very careful about garbage getting down the drain. Good luck on the solution.

• Sorcha

This happens alot in our parents-in-law basement. The sink down there rarely gets used and the water in the trap evaporates causing a drain smell (yuck!). I just run warm water with a bit of bleach down the drain and it clears it up.

Most likely, the water in the traps is evaporating. Run water in all sinks for a minute to assure they are full.

I see this a lot in houses that have sat vacant for some time. Good luck.

Source(s): certified home inspector

Try putting a little bit of baking soda in each of your sinks, and run hot water over it. The hot water can help to get any residual grease from inside the pipes, and the baking soda is a natural deodorizer.

POUR SOME DRAIN CLEANER DOWN EVERY ONE