Becky asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Why did Thomas Jefferson purchase the Louisiana Territory?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Manifest Destiny. All Americans wanted America to stretch from Coast to Coast. From the Atlantic to the Pacific and it was said that it was their right to own all of the land upon the continent. Here is alittle trivia for you, The Louisiana Territory was bought from Napoleon Bonaparte of France.

• Jimfix
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

He got a heck of a land deal that more then doubled the size of the United States territory. I included in this was most of the Western Territories.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With more immigrants coming into this country,the East Coast wasn't able to hold all of them. The only solution was to move Westward but France was controlling this peice of land. So,Napolean needing money to raise an army for the future conquest of Europe, sold it to the U.S. for $15 million in 1803.

• 1 decade ago

To gain more land and to be able to go to the West without people killing us for being in their country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Land, Land, Land

We were a young country and we needed to expand.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He wanted the ports in Lousiana.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Was asking myself the same thing

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Manifest destiny baby!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They got a great GREAT great deal for it.

Source(s): I learned it in my history class, but do not remember most of itl. But this should help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_purchase
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.