Becky asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Why did Thomas Jefferson purchase the Louisiana Territory?

Favorite Answer

Manifest Destiny. All Americans wanted America to stretch from Coast to Coast. From the Atlantic to the Pacific and it was said that it was their right to own all of the land upon the continent. Here is alittle trivia for you, The Louisiana Territory was bought from Napoleon Bonaparte of France.

• Jimfix

He got a heck of a land deal that more then doubled the size of the United States territory. I included in this was most of the Western Territories.

With more immigrants coming into this country,the East Coast wasn't able to hold all of them. The only solution was to move Westward but France was controlling this peice of land. So,Napolean needing money to raise an army for the future conquest of Europe, sold it to the U.S. for $15 million in 1803.

To gain more land and to be able to go to the West without people killing us for being in their country.

Land, Land, Land

We were a young country and we needed to expand.

He wanted the ports in Lousiana.

Was asking myself the same thing

Manifest destiny baby!!!!

They got a great GREAT great deal for it.

Source(s): I learned it in my history class, but do not remember most of itl. But this should help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_purchase