Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Court Scene?

If you had to go to court in the United States, for some reason, do you feel that you would be given fair treatment?

Favorite Answer

Because, FOR THE MOST PART, people here are treated fairly, this is the only place I feel that I could go and feel that I would be treated fairly. Democracy DOES make a difference.

At very least 10% of all convictions are being found to be flawed, the defendant is in fact not guilty, in another 20% of the cases the charge has been found to be inflated past credibility, in another 20% the sentence is extreme (due to mandatory sentencing legislation). The bottom line is you have a 50/50 chance of getting a fair trial and if convicted, reasonable, fair sentencing.

NOT good odds. The U/S. criminal justice system is severely broken... but you will NEVER hear that on the 5 o'clock news.

You are given every opportunity to defend yourself. Whatever claims are filed against you, you have the right and responsibility to present evidence that the claims are erroneous or that you are innocent. At least you get a trial in this country. In some countries you are tried, convicted and executed by the Police that charge you. Take Columbia for example, drunk drivers ar taken out of the vehicle, forced to their knees, and shot in the head, on the spot.

Yes.

I don't know any way we could make them any "fairer"

Of course money "buys" a certain amount of justice, but thats even more true in other places.

Yes I do.