Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & Employment · 1 decade ago

How much money do entry level Web Developers make?

How much money do entry level Web Developers make?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have a few friends who are web design consultants, and even though they are very experienced with html, css, and graphic design, they usually only charge $25 an hour, in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC area.

Beginning web designers make between $15-20 an hour here... you have to have a portfolio or a few of web sites that you've designed to show to potential employers.

If you want to be a Web Developer, it is not enough to know HTML, you should also know:

1) Programming: C programming, Perl, PHP, ColdFusion, or some type of programming: you need to be able to program your site and create dynamic Web sites.

2) Basic and Advanced HTML: Chances are, companies will have tools to help you create HTML. However, if you don't know what the HTML tags are and what they do, then you will have a hard time fixing problems that come up, especially when you have to convert someone else's HTML.

3) Graphics: You should be able to use a good graphics program like Photoshop. Paint Shop Pro is fine, but most corporations do not use it. You should also be confident in your ability to put together a graphic. You don't have to be the next Van Gogh, but you should know how to do it.

4) Design and Layout: Know basic and advanced design principles, both of the Web and in print. If you can lay out a page that looks "cool" people are going to forgive your lack of programming experience. However, remember that what is cool today will be deadly boring tomorrow.

5) Writing: Content isn't king, like it used to be, but you should still be able to put a coherent sentence on the page. Use spell checkers, and grammar checkers if you have to, and know your limits. If you know you can't spell, then spell check even your name.

6) Confidence: This is still a new profession. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Job postings often ask for all types of things when they might be looking for you. You know that you are the perfect person for the job, they just haven't hired you yet.

Good luck!

Source(s): Do you Want a Job as a Web Developer? Pros and Cons: http://webdesign.about.com/od/jobs/a/aa122100a.htm Use to be a programmer and trainer..teach html
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes. You can be a web designer & developer at the same time. I am also a web designer & developer. All you need to know is Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML, CSS, Javascript( for front end design) and PHP mySQL ( for backend development). I dont know about other places. I live in new zealand and i do projects for both nz and aussie. In NZ i earn around 60k a year and for aussie i do freelance for $400/ day. But the main thing depends on your experience. I have 4-5 year experience so they pay a lot. I dont know about yor place but for an entry level full time web developer in NZ it would be around 40k a year and in AUS it would be around 40 - 60k a year. Even yesterday I saw an ad, the company was willing to pay around 70k for a junior developer in AUS. Website developers earn more than web designers. You can earn 20k a year doing part time working 20 hrs a week. Hope the above information was helpful. Cheers!

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the company/organization you're working for along with the set of web design skills you can provide. The more programming skills you can bring into your web development, the more money you can make (.php, java, .asp, etc.).

A website software developer can make anywhere between $35k - $100k, according to salary.com. Those who are in the higher income brackets (70k-100k) generally have a lot of programming background on top of their website design experience. Those in the lower range of the profession (35k-50k) have basic web design experience, know html or css, can modify/update pages, add graphics, etc.

Hope this helps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.