Is it safe to use a little lattice wood (treated) as kindling, in a wood burning fireplace in a home?

As long as the smoke goes up the chimney, I don't think it would be harmful. Wanted some input on this. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Why risk the health issues?

No way...not reccomended, especially in the house.

It is unsafe to burn any treated wood indoors, as the treatment includes some heavy metals(arsenic, etc) which could kill you with enough exposure. However, a few sticks probably won't cause any physical problems.

Having burned some treated wood in my wood-burning heater, I can vouch for the fact that the symptoms to even moderate exposure include headaches, body pain, and every other type ailment that is usually caused by the flu.

• leslie

I wouldn't burn it inside if it' pressure treated. It's chemically treated, so don't take a chance. Previously, pressure treated lumber was found to have arsnic in it and had to be removed from playgrounds, so don't take a chance.

NO. Pressure treated wood has arsenic in it. Don't burn it inside.

no do not use any treated wood

• steve

as long as it don't harm you right.....the heck with the rest of the world.