Good Moon Filter for Meade DS-2130AT goto telescope 5"?

I purchased a telescope (yeah, finally!) :-) and it didn't come with a moon filter.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for...

Are they all compatible?

Thanks, I saw a nice moon filter on that site. Do I assume that it fits my size telescope?

That's great news then, I don't want to have to get one if it's not needed.

I'm brand new to this and thought you had to have one to protect your eyes, but I guess that's just the solar filter....

but I don't see any point in looking at the sun anyway, I mean, all it is a ball of fire, right? Is there anything to see?

Favorite Answer

My fav place is telescopes.com

http://www.telescopes.com/series/meade-series-4000...

I looked on the meade site. I think it does fit.

Moon filters are normally only used with larger telescopes to dim the image of the Moon; it doesn't make the image clearer. With a 5 inch scope you shouldn't really need one. I have 10" and 12.5" scopes and I haven't bothered getting a moon filter, although I tend to choose higher magnification eyepieces when I view the moon. (The image appears dimmer as you increase magnification.)

Before you get a moon filter, answer these two questions: Do you find the moon uncomfortably bright to look at in your telescope? Have you tried using higher magnification? If you've answered no to either of these questions, don't bother wasting your money.

If you're still convinced you need one, you'll find they essentially fall into two categories: neutral density and variable polarizing filters. The neutral density ones tend to be cheaper and dim the light by a fixed amount. The variable polarizing ones tend to be more expensive and you can adjust how much light passes through. They come in different sizes for the different sizes of eyepieces, mostly 1.25" and 2". If you have 0.965" Diameter eyepieces, you might have a harder time finding a moon filter and for this size I wouldn't bother - you won't see a marked improvement in the image.

Do you really need one? Anything you put in the light path is going to make the image worse, even if only slightly. I know some people like them, but I've never seen the point. If you do need one, the only advice I can offer is make sure it's the right size - I think your 'scope has .96" eyepieces, but the more usual size is 1.25".

To answer your follow up question - yes, you can look at sunspots. Solar filters that can be attached to your scope can be either glass or mylar. Glass is more robust, but more expensive. DO NOT use a solar filter that fits into the eyepiece - they have a nasty habit of breaking and leaving the observer blinded!!! For safety, particularly since you're new to this, it's best to use solar projection (link below). And make sure you cap your finderscope!