Can hd tuners and antenna's be used with older tv's to get hdtv channels?

wondering if I can buy tuner and antenna to be used on my old tv, or should I buy new tv with tuner?

• Ron E
    Favorite Answer

IT depends on the tuner. If it has the proper output, you can get the channels, but they will be in standard definition on your old TV - either letterbox or cut off on the sides.. Tuners are running about $250 and many large cities have more digital channels than analog, so it may be worth it in your area, especially if you do not have cable TV.

You TV has to be able to except an HD tv signal. When everyone goes to a digital signal in 2009 you might be able to buy a converter box, but right now HD tv's aren't that expensive, and if it's something you really want, I wouldn't mess with a tv that cannot do it.

Unless you have a HDTV, and/or a HDEV tuner that is built into them, your ld TV won't show the HD picture

Source(s): Common Knowledge
  • ?

You need a roof antenna for digital, there aren't any short cuts.

Go buy new tv ,throw old one away ur sell old one in yard garage or basement sale.

best buy futureshop walmart