How accurate are home pregnancy tests? Im a week late, i took a test and came out negative..?

How early can it detect the pregnancy hormone? and has this happened to anybody and then resulted in a pregnancy?

Favorite Answer

My mother had two store bought tests that said negative. eight months later she had me. Im sure they are more accurate now, but the Doctor is the only one who can tell you 100%.

A home test can detect the pregnancy hormone a few days before your period (sometimes up to 5 days, but more likely about 2-3 days). If your cycle is normal (28-30 days between the start of each period), then most tests would be considered "accurate" [a negative is truly negative and positive means you are pregnant]. There are a few "hints" to taking a pregnancy test:

-- Purchase a brand-name test. The generic tests and dollar-store brands do not necessarily detect the hormone at the lower levels like First Response or Answer Early.

-- Take the test first thing in the morning, when you just get up. First-morning urine has the highest concentration of the pregnancy hormone (if it is present) and will therefore yield the most accurate result.

-- If the test still comes out negative, your next step is the doctor's office. A blood test will definitively tell if you are pregnant or not.

I hope this helps...Good luck to you!

Source(s): FIVE pregnancies of my own (two surrogate babies!) and carrying my sixth!
  • Blondi

They have always been accurate for me. Always said Positive a few days before my period or the day of my missed period. But you could try again or just go take a blood test. I have heard of some women not picking up a positive , but I dont know the reason for that.

EPT Error Proof Test....It detects hormones the body (prego) that other test don't. If you are still not prego or late, go to tthe doctors and get checked out.

• Kaytee

Try another brand of pregnancy tests. They are fairly accurate (up to 99%), but never hurts to take it again.

my friend couldn't get a positive until she was 3 monthz pregnant