Baby Last Names????????

Ok... I have this friend (no it's not me) who is pregnant by her ex boyfriend, when the guy found out he left. The question is she is divorced and has kept her name from her divorce, lets use Morgan as her current divorces last name. We'll say the babies daddies last name is Harry, problem is she doesn't want to give her new baby either last name. So when the babies born can she give it her maiden name eventhough she no longer holds this name? Is it legal? We're in Kansas if that helps. Or does she have to name it Harry or Morgan?

Favorite Answer

Here in Kansas she can give the Babe the mothers maiden name. It is perfectly legal.

Generally you can name a child whatever you'd like. There's no law saying that the child has to have it's father's last name. My mother gave me her maiden name when I was born because she wanted to and it never caused any problems. It just might be uncomfortable for the child when it gets older if people assume that it has it's fathers last name an ask about it. But your friend can definitely name her child whatever she wants.

I think it has to be either mother's last name or father's last name, and traditionally illegitimate children get the mother's last name. If she doesn't want to give him that name, she should change her own name back to her maiden name and give him that.

Yes it is legal to give your child your maiden name. Jaylin's father and I broke up before i found out i was pregnant. So i gave jaylin my last name. I had my moms last name before i got married. Tell her to go ahead and give her child her last name.

Yes she can....my best friend gave her second child her maiden name...but she'll have to realize it may cause confusion for her child as mommy doesn't have the same name...why doesn't she just go back to it?

yes it is legal and she can name her baby what ever she wants so if she wants to name her the maiden name she can

i think cruz is the best last name hope i helped bye for now