Can u start an essay off with a Question?

Grade 12 Essay, Worth 20% of my final mark. Can i start the essay off with a question

Topic : Meaning of Life

Starting Sentence: What is the meaning of life?

Favorite Answer

Yes you can! Just be sure to answer it fully! Good luck.

it is perfectly acceptable to start an essay of with a question. Just make sure that the essay answers the question or at least inspires the answer (causes the reader to think about the question and apply it to their own life) or that he essay makes a solid case for why the question cannot be answered. Either way, as long as by the time one is finished reading it, they don't feel they have read an incomplete essay or fell left hanging, the question is acceptable- (though personally I agree with someone above me - I would reword the question- make it a little more interesting)

You can, in general, start an essay off with a question because you want to hae a hook in your introduction. Your choice in question however (What is the meaning of life?) is not a "hook" persay because it is very cliched/overdone/expected based on the topic. Try coming up with a different question altogether for your hook. You're obviously going to be discussing the meaning of life, there's no need to spell it out for the reader.

Absolutely, I just finished English Composition my first year of college. We wrote 6 essays and our professor gave us example essays for each topic we had to write about. I specifically remember one that started off with a question.

Source(s): Just finished College English Comp.

that's really unoriginal. Questions CAN be used (if you are in elementary school), but they are generally not the best choice (don't use them)

try something like "Humans have searched for years to discover the greatest secret of all time: the meaning of life." don't use that (it's not that great just what I could come up with in 2 seconds)

use something creative. The first sentence has to catch the reader's eye and make them want to read it.

Absolutely, it grabs the readers attention starts them thinking straight away, make sure that answer the question fully though, asking a question is both a challenge and a promise. The reader will get quickly disappointed if you don't answer the question.

questions are good because they grab the readers attention.

or start it off a quick synopsis of some one trying to figure out the meaning of life.

yes but i wouldn't suggest using that.....use something like: "what does one live for?" or "why does one keep living?" its a nad idea to start your essay with the topic you were given: twist it around to fit what you're are going to talk about and specify a little more

sure...it makes he style more direct, and it gives you the chance to start off the essay really easy!

Certainly. Be careful that you answer the question quickly. Don't keep the reader waiting, and make sure that the question is pertinent.

sure u can even say like what do u think is the meaning of life. in my opinion....

my teacher siad its a good way to start