My 1998 Ford Windstar's battery keeps dying, why? Also the interior light won't always turn off. We purchased

a top of the line $$$$$$ battery,but still some mornings the battery is just dead!!!! The dome light doesn't seem to make much of a difference, if it won't shut off the battery may or may not work the next day. (What I'm trying to say is that the battery doesn't seem to be drained by this)HELP! ;)

Favorite Answer

you have something draining the battery, the only way to check it is to take the fuse out of the dome light some night and see if it starts in the morning and if it still doesn't start you have something else draining it.

Those models list a problem with the door ajar switch. This could lead to the interior light staying on and draining the battery over time.

• rosco

Hi, I would take the van to a shop near you that does alternator repair work.they will test battery and alternator to see if system is working properly. See if they will check your grounding system for you,loose grounds will put large draw on battery.These checks should find problem and correct same.The light staying on, is probably a door switch not making properly.I would check each one by operating it manually,you will see if light goes out.That`s all I can think of at the moment.Good Luck

Source(s): There is always some thing going wrong to keep us on our toe`s.

you just gave yourself a clue.the INTERIOR LIGHT does not turn off. this is why your battery is dead. look for bad switch that is stuck on.

take the bulb out of the interior light until you can solve the problem

Sound like you need a new alternater. You can probably get one for $80 if you look around.